Saturday, September 23, 2006

Prospects Galore!!!

In southern Missouri, there is a highway (Hwy. 60) that has often been called "COGOP Alley". Seriously, there is a Church of God of Prophecy in just about every town on this highway for approximately 300 miles. And I used to preach to, visit, and fellowship with many of those churches and know that, unless people have changed, they would not go along with the new "changes" that have taken place in the church.

Because of a recent incident, I am becoming more and more convinced as to the one of the reasons God has placed us in this area. The other day, I had an incident with one of my staff members (for the school newspaper) losing one of our very expensive cameras at a football game last week. After questioning some of the kids, I found out that a boy who wasn't on my staff was taking pictures for the irresponsible staff member who'd been allowed to check the camera out from me. I checked with the office and found out that this kid was working at his internship in a local body shop/auto mechanic place. I went out there to question him and no one was in the office. I stepped inside the garage and yelled out a hello and heard one of the men who was under the dashboard of a car yell out, "We don't wanna' talk to you" (jokingly, of course.)

He stepped out of the car and said, "You do remember me, don't you?" It took me a minute to realize that it was Stacey Prewett, one of the local pastors in COGOP. He'd had me preach at his church back when I was in high school on a few different occasions.

We sat down and chatted for several minutes and he told me he'd moved into Willow Springs (where I teach) and was getting ready to take over a church in Summersville (another town really close). I feel I may have a shot at getting him to come over. I remember he believed very much in the old-time way. Ya'll pray that God will help me do and say the right things to him and some of the others out here that I know because, for the most part, they do believe the way we do and I KNOW that some of the people out here aren't going to go along with the junk COGOP's preaching now.

2 comments:

Western Skies said...

I remember COGOP Alley in Missouri! It was great to visit there with M.A. and see all of those churches back during our "early" Lee University days. I say early for those who don't know as I came to The Church of God on Jan. 10, 1999 and Amy joined about one month later and praise the Lord for His leading! Amy, it would be great if those churches would come our way, excuse me...God's way. I know that God will use you both in a great way. Love and Prayers, James Horne

~Amy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, James. Yeah, those were fun days. For those of you who don't know, M.A. was the Ministerial Association, a group to which James and I belonged when we were in college at Lee. We did a revival tour in this area back then.