Thursday, September 07, 2006

OOOOOHHHHHH.... I am SO excited

Yes, I know I have probably gone absolutely bazerk, (Is that how you spell that? Is it even a word?) but I have just asked permission at school to take my junior college prep class on a week-long tour of Washington, D.C., for Spring break. WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH ME? I mean, I really want to do it, but it is sooo much work to plan a trip for that many kids for that many days. But I am dedicated to my job, and I believe the kids in this area need more experiences than they get. I mean, most of them haven't been outside of the southern Missouri region. And if my job is to teach them about things that will help in life, then learning about our country's history and polity is such a big part of that. Besides that, I am a writing teacher and if these kids have no experiences then they have nothing about which to write, right?

Anyway, I have my itinerary nearly done. I'm turning it in Monday morning along with a complete financial report and a few fundraising ideas. I am working on transportation costs while in D.C. I need to find out how we're going to do the illuminated tour of the monuments and how we're going to get to Monticello (Jefferson's home) and/or Mount Vernon (Washington's home). Really, I'm trying to decide which one we should do. I also have to decide which dinner theatre we're going to go to. I'm trying to find one that has either a Shakespearean play or some other classic. I'm not much on a lot of the contemporary plays.

The most exciting thing that I found today was my airfare. We can fly from Memphis, TN, to Washington for ... are you ready for this? ... $138. $138!!!!!!! That's just unreal. I called my principal on her cell phone the minute I found that. She said, "Wow! I can tell you're really excited, Amy." She thinks I'm crazy. But she's excited too; she told me so. She wants my trip to be approved because she believes in the whole giving the kids experiences thing, too. Anyway, it'll happen. I really think it will. I'm hoping it will, anyway.

Well, I gotta' go to bed. My eyes are a little droopy ...

Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

~exuent

1 comments:

~Amy said...

MEGAN COMMENTED ON MY BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! :-o