Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two More!!!! Wa-hoo!!!

I got two calls today. Thank you for all those who are praying for us. I know God is working it all out and I'm soooo very thankful to Him.
One class I'm being offered is a Monday night Academic Skills Advancement Writing Class at Ivy Tech Comm. Coll. where I'm teaching my freshman English Comp class. I'm definitely taking that one. The other is a Tues/Thurs ESL class (English as a Second Language) that meets from 12-2. It's in Dowagiac, MI, pretty close to our pastor's house. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take that one because I don't know who'd watch Jackson. I'm going to check with Sister Bentley to see if she or someone she knows might be able to watch him for a few hours. It'd probably only end up being a little over three hours each of those days that I'd need someone to watch him. We'll see. I'm praying about it. The cool thing about this class is that the students are from Korea and Japan. Japan!!!! I could very possibly get to practice my Japanese skills. I've been wanting to brush up for so long now, but I don't have anyone to practice with. It'd be so very cool if one of the students would be willing to drill me or practice with me. English lessons for Japanese? Sounds good to me. ;-)


In other news, my youngest brother got to come see us for a few days last weekend. We had fun one night but then he woke up the next morning with what I think was a sinus infection, so he slept most of the rest of the time he was here. Poor kid. Anyway, on Friday night we got to play miniature golf. We had a coupon so we only paid $9 for all four of us!!! It cost that much for one person in a lot of places. But we had fun. Thought I'd post a couple of pics.

Here's Jackson trying his best to look sweet ;-)

A victory stance ...




Here he's attempting to block his Uncle Christopher's shot. Little twerpie.


Well, I'm trying to finish my syllabus for my class tomorrow night. I'm having a hard time deciding which of these readings I want to assign. There's one I KNOW I'm going to require. It's called "Becoming Literate: A Lesson from the Amish". It's neat. The author lived with an Amish family for some time as part of her research and analyzed how the Amish introduce reading and writing to their children and how it's followed up in the Amish school. I find it really fascinating. Even small children are encouraged to "read" along with the family. If they play Scrabble or Boggle, 3, 4, and 5 year olds are included and are helped by the older children and the parents with no one hollering about cheating. They don't go past the eighth grade generally, but they still encourage and practice literacy in the home starting at younger ages than some "Englischers" start their children. It was a neat journal article.

Anyway, I need to get going. Thanks again for the prayers and keep 'em coming. We're still looking for some answers about some things. G'night, all.

3 comments:

Rebekah Doran said...

Wow, Jackson is getting big!

Still praying for you guys.

Vicki Smith said...

It's been way too long since you've posted a picture of Jackson--he's grown up SO MUCH!!! Thanks for the new post and pictures.
I'm praying for you guys. God's got all the answers; it's just up to you to surrender enough of yourselves in order to receive them. --Love you.

~Amy said...

Thanks for the prayers, Bekah and Sister Smith. It's our desire to truly receive all that God has for us. We KNOW God wants us here, so we're sticking with it. That offer in Cleveland for Anthony was really tempting ... but the church here is where we're supposed to be.