Saturday, October 18, 2008

Shucks!!

Well, we went. And came back very quickly. Anthony and Jackson had been battling a cold for several days and it really seemed Jackson was getting a lot better and Anthony also acted like he was feeling better this morning. But when we got there, I guess Anthony kind of suffered a set back. Maybe it was the chill in the wind or something. The body aches and stuffy head just got to him and we decided to leave. We did look in all the shops, but they were pretty much just crafts and souvenir stuff. We used to really get into that, but recently we decided it's really just stuff we don't need and we opt not to spend our money on it. The homemade quilts we saw were gorgeous, but I didn't see anything I couldn't live without.


We were planning on doing the day trip "Pastport Package" (they spell it that way -- "Past"port). It includes the buggy ride, tour of the Amish home and farm, two short documentary films on the Amish, and the famous Threshers Dinner. Jackson would've been free, but our tickets would've been 25.95 each with my $2 off coupon. I guess with the dinner included, it's not too bad of a price, but we just decided not to spend the money. Anthony wasn't feeling well and Jackson was coughing. I was even starting to get a little bit stuffy. (Now I'm worse with it being night time. Why is it always worse at night?) So we decided to come back when we all were well and more energetic. I was bummed a little bit, but I decided it was better to wait. It'll be more fun when we're all feeling good. ;-) The main reason I was bummed out was because I didn't get very many good pictures. Jackson wouldn't be still for me to get anything of him except for one. Twerpie.

The place was a lot smaller than what the website suggests. I was a little underwhelmed, but then again, we didn't do the touristy things so I don't know if we missed what we would've really enjoyed. We did stop in a little snack shop for hot apple cider, but it was barely lukewarm. HA! Figures.


Before we left, I checked out the hotels there. There are two: The Inn at Amish Acres and The Nappanee Inn. They were pretty nice. I am considering having our Ladies' Retreat there, but it's still a toss-up. I can't say this trip convinced me either way. The Lord knows.

On our way back, Anthony stopped at a Farmer's Market and let me go in for a few minutes while he stayed in the car with Jackson. Wow. I may have enjoyed my time there just as much or more than Amish Acres. There were lots of neat vendors. One Amish family had a beautiful display of furniture and wall hangings. I want one of the hope chests he had. Soooo pretty. I probably spent a little too much time looking, considering my husband and kid were waiting for me in the car. I bought some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and a big spaghetti squash from one of the farmer's stands and some pumpkin nut bread from one of the Amish families that had bakery goods. Mmmmm... We had some tonight and it was delicious. I also made a salad with our supper and used one of the tomatoes and cucumbers. They were really fresh and flavorful. Yum!

I forgot to tell about last weekend. My husband actually was in the mood to play games!! (Happens about two or three times a year, so I jump on it when it does.) :D We played the short version of Monopoly (whatever it takes to get him to play) and he beat me mercilessly. Doesn't matter. It was still lots of fun. I was very happy.

Thursday was interesting. I was scheduled to sub for a middle school math teacher. I dropped Jackson off at preschool and showed up ready to work. But for some reason my name wasn't on the sub list. So the secretary called the sub coordinator and I guess she had made a mistake, so the school had a teacher who they said didn't have a sub so they sent me to his science classroom instead. I made my way down to Mr. Weirich's room and there were three teachers sitting there meeting about something. I introduced myself and told them I was supposed to sub that day for Mr. Weirich and one of the teachers started laughing. "No, you're not," he said. I looked at him and said, "You're Mr. Weirich, aren't you?" Yep. He was. Again, the sub coordinator had goofed. His personal day was supposed to be for the next week, not that day. So he walked me down to the office and they told me they didn't need me, apologized for the mistake, and said I would still be paid! Wow. I never would've dreamed they'd still pay me! But that's good because I had used the gas to get there and spent the money on Jackson's preschool for the day. So I went and did something I've been putting off for too long ... I went and got my Indiana driver's license NOT having studied for the test.

I told the lady that if I failed (which by that point I was pretty sure I was going to) that it was because EVEN THOUGH THIS WAS THE FOURTH STATE I'VE LIVED IN, I hadn't had to take a driving test since I was 16!!! Had to cover my tracks, you know. She laughed and wished me luck. So I was allowed to miss six of the multiple choice and only 2 of the signs in order to pass. I put little tick marks next to the ones I thought I had wrong and I handed in my paper sure I had failed. I thought I had missed only about four of the multiple choice, but FOUR of the signs. Nope. I missed two!!! Total!!!! I missed none of the signs!!!!! HA!!!! Not having studied. My husband only missed one on his BUT HE STUDIED!!!! HA HA HA HA!!!! He was so sure I was going to fail because I hadn't studied. Even scolded me for not studying and said I'd waste time and gas when I went to take the test. But he was wrong, and as Chonda Pierce would say, "I think that's hilarious!"

Alright. I guess I ought to get these pics uploaded and go to bed. Getting pretty sleepy.
Anybody remember Shotgun Red?
"Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite. If they do, hit 'em with a shoe and say, "I don't wanna sleep with you!" HA!

4 comments:

Rebekah Doran said...

Enjoyed your pictures from your short trip. Sorry to hear your guys aren't feeling all too good.

Wahoo! for a game played with hubby. (even if he did beat you)

That's great that you passed your test without having to study. I bet your glad to have that done.

lol I've never heard the bedbug poem said quit like that before. It is cute though!

Unknown said...

hehehe... micah won't play games with me either, but that's because he says we are both (me especially) too competetive in two-player games and i supposedly gloat if i win and pout if he wins.

i do not.

no really, i do.. a little bit. but i've really been trying hard on just being cool and going with the flow and not getting worked up in either direction.

so far, he hasn't relented.

my family went to an amish place in ohio back in.. 97? wow. was that really ten years ago? it was when we went back to my dad's hometown of Medina, Ohio. i really want to take Micah there sometime. it has so many good memories.

we got to go to Laman's or whatever the big Amish store is. can't remember the actual name. but it was cool. we got to tour an amish farmhouse where they opened the downstairs to the public, and then you could got on a horse and buggy ride and visit their farm our back.

that was cool. oh. and back in Medina there was a teddy bear factory and a honey factory and an old fashion soda counter and a gazebo in the town square where the bass band would play in the summer and people would bring their picnic baskets to eat and listen.

no joke, places like that do still exist.

Mouseketeer Deitz said...

Hey, I remember Shotgun Red (I even think I still have a stuff animal someone gave me of him-who wants an old man stuff animal though??) I am so glad today that my audio does not work. So I only had to listen to bits and pieces of your bluegrass background music. :oP I'm glad that you didn't get to do the Amish Acres, because you are suppose to WAIT till Megan and I come to visit you. :o( I guess I'm priviledged that both Megan and Phil like to play games. But then those that know Phillip, know he's just a big kid anyway.

~Amy said...

Annette, weren't we just saying that your husband was an old man? Know we're saying he's a big kid!!! Ha!!!! Too funny. Maybe it will have to wait until you get here to really do Amish Acres right.

Megan, that place sounds really neat. And I do that too ... pout a little bit when I lose. But just a little bit.

Rebekah, my grandpa used to say that bedbug poem to me when I was a little girl. I'll never forget it. ;-) And wahoo for the game played, indeed. It really does happen so rarely. :(