Sunday, October 12, 2008

Quilts

I guess I've been nostalgic lately, but I thought I'd post this picture of a baby quilt that my grandma made for Jackson when he was born and one that my grandma made for me when I was in college. I love them both, but Jackson's has a special origin. The embroidered blocks were actually originally on a baby quilt that my grandma had made for me when I was born. Then when I had Jackson, she took the embroidered blocks and reset them in blue alternating blocks for a boyish look. I love that! She has the neatest ideas. These are Campbell's Soup kids. I think they were really popular in the 70's when I was born. THE LATE 70s ... '77 to be exact!!!! (I'm not that old.) ;-)
Can't have Campbell's Soup kids without one of them making tomato soup!! :D

My college quilt is also one of my treasures. I love that it's so colorful and cheerful and I think the puffy blocks are neat. I took a close-up of my favorite blocks so you can read the words. I don't know why I can't figure out how to post pictures that can be clicked on for enlargement. Anybody have any ideas of what I my be doing wrong?

And here are some pictures of the apartment community in early autumn splendor. It won't be long before we have full-blown color. The pictures don't do it justice, though. I WANT A NEW CAMERA FOR CHRISTMAS!!!! A good one. You know, every mom should have a good camera. No exceptions.
Well, I said some pictures, but one of them got booted off the post when I added some other pics. Grrrr....

I subbed some again last week. First grade at two different schools. On Tuesday I subbed for a first grade class at Chandler Elementary. It was a sheltered English classroom so all of the students were Hispanic, but they all spoke and understood English really well. They were soooo cute and sweet. And well-behaved. That teacher must've really trained them well from the get-go. And the environment was wonderful. The entire school seemed really calm and quiet and in good order. I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like it, but it was great. Then on Wednesday and Thursday I subbed for a first grade class at Prairie View. DIFFERENT STORY!!! The kids here were wild and unruly and constantly picking and fighting with each other It was amazing the difference between the two schools. I liked to pulled my hair out with the group I had. I was told that I had a difficult group when I first got there. Well, THAT was an understatement! I had several kids who liked to fight with each other. And there were two little girls who were bossy and tried to tell all the other kids AND ME what they should be doing at all times. I had two pouters who would squall when they didn't get their way. It was ridiculous and I was sooo glad to see 2:35 on Thursday. I didn't sub Friday, so Jackson and I stayed home and played games and read books. Good day. :D

Jackson's still enjoying preschool. I think it's good for him to get to be with other children and even another adult besides me. I really like his preschool, too. It's run by a church and the teachers seem very caring. And they run a tight ship, which is important for Jackson. He definitely needs the structure. The director, I can tell, is strict but loving. I get very good vibes from her. They have daily Bible stories and art time. On Thursday he got to bake with one of his teachers!!! That's so cool. Home Ec at an early age! ;-) They made a snack for Monday when they go on a "pretend field trip" with Christopher Columbus in search of something. Isn't that neat? They also have music where they learn children's Bible songs and early reading where they learn their letters and sounds and such. Jackson already knows his letters and sounds, but it's good review for him. I thank the Lord that he helped me find this particular school.

Well, I didn't get the job I interviewed for on Monday. That's alright. That means it wasn't God's will and I'm constantly praying for God's will. I applied for another one on Thursday. It's an enrollment coordinator for a study abroad company. It sounds like it's right up my alley, it's just down the road a ways from Anthony's hotel, and it pays pretty well. We'll see what happens.

Well, I need to get going. Have a great day, all, and God bless.

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Neat quilts! And they're extra special because of the love stitched into them by your grandma. Treasure them!

Kasey said...

Glad for another post!! Cool quilts. best quilts in the world come from grandmas!!

cokelady said...

LOVE the neat quilts, especially that big puffy one--it looks sooooo cozy! And when they're handmade by your own grandma, well, ya' just can't beat that! :-)

Will pray for God's will concerning your job situation!

~Amy said...

Thanks for the compliments on the quilts. I do treasure them very much. My grandma and I are very close, so these are very special. There are more, but it'd probably be overkill to post pics.

Yes, Becki, the big puffy one is my very favorite thing to snuggle with one a cold evening when we're watching a movie or something.

Thanks for the prayers.

Rebekah Doran said...

Wow, just think of all the time that went into those! Very neat though! That "poofy" one look way comfy.

I don't know what to say about your pics. Do you upload your pics through blogger?

Subbing, better you than me. :) Jacob makes a good sub, but not me. Sounds like you did well even with your naughty classroom.