Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Olive Garden Salad and Classes

I had a request for how I make Olive Garden salad dressing. Well, I cheated. I was going to buy all the fancy ingredients and make my own, but I decided to go the cheaper route. I would have RATHER made my own. I like to do stuff from scratch, but I don't like the cost that's sometimes involved. (Sometimes it's cheaper to make things from scratch, I know, but on this ... it's not!)

So ... I bought a bottle of Kraft Italian Vinaigrette made with olive oil and added a little bit of vinegar, a couple spoonfuls of sugar, and some fresh-ground pepper. I just played around with it until it tasted right and I actually got it really close to the real deal :D. Then I tossed in thinly sliced red onion, some whole pitted black olives, and some chopped tomato. Tossed that in the dressing and threw in the lettuces and some grated parmesan-romano. Tossed slightly and there ya go. Olive Garden salad minus the banana peppers. (Who eats those, anyway?)

My night class is going GREAT so far. I'm so thankful the Lord is helping me. About half of my class are non-traditional students (older than your typical 18 year old college freshman) and are looking for a life change with a degree that will help them get into better careers. It gets them out of the poverty-ridden or close to it existences that many of them come from and just helps them feel better about themselves and have better financial situations. If you look at the big picture, my little role in a classroom with 24 students helps create a better society for all of us in even a small way. Maybe with their new way of life after they get their degree, the temptation to engage in criminal activities will be alleviated. And I don't mean to be prejudiced. We all know that the worse the circumstances people have to live in, the easier it is for the devil to entice them to unfavorable lifestyles. It's just true.

I'm inspired by my students. Many live in grim circumstances and are determined to rise up out of that. I'm helping them to do that. I know my class is the tiniest of stepping stones for them, but it's a step none-the-less. I thank the Lord that I can be a part of that process. I take my job seriously and I feel honored that God has chosen me to make that much of a difference in these people's lives. I pray they see Jesus in me. I pray that the small role I play in their lives is the part of their lives where they see that God truly does love them. By some of the class discussions we have, they know that I'm a Christian. And they know that I'm committed to their success. And they're smart enough to put two and two together. I pray each one of them who hasn't already (because I know a few in there are definitely Christians) will turn to the Lord because of a tiny seed the Lord enables me to plant and because of any other seeds the Lord plants in their lives.

I praise the Lord for my education. The Lord knew when He enabled me to get my education that I would one day use it for Him and His glory. I pray before each of my classes and I ask Him to help me to show them Jesus during that class period. He's helping me to do that and there's glory in soul tonight because I know it!!!! Praise the Lord.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

What are you talking about? Banana peppers rock! (Though I grew up calling them pepperoncini peppers...wonder if there's a difference?)

There is DEFINITELY a ministry in teaching. It's a mission field. You're the guiding mother some of those kids may never have.

Rachel said...

Oh... and m sister-in-law told me there's a salad dressing that's JUST LIKE Olive Garden's... Tuscany something? I think it's Kraft. I'll have to ask her. I mean if you're gonna cheat you might as well make it easier on yourself. :-)

~Amy said...

Aw, Rachel. Thanks for saying that about the ministry that teaching is. It means a lot.

I'll have to try that dressing out ... after we down the other dressing I bought. I don't know if they're the banana and pepperocini peppers are the same. Seems like I saw something on Food Network that said they were one time, but I can't remember for sure.

Unknown said...

i agree, teaching, of any kind, is a calling. its sharing your knowledge, your faith, to those lacking (most times in both!).


mmm. olive garden. we don't have an olive garden up here. :( it just about kills me when i see commercials for their endless pasta bowls. sigh....

Vicki Smith said...

Of COURSE teaching is a ministry! God called teachers are allowed inside public classrooms, but preachers aren't generally allowed to fulfill their calling in public places. :-) Let the Lord shine through you.

I haven't been to an Olive Garden in years. My husband's not crazy about Italian food--too much pasta and not enough MEAT involved, plus he doesn't like garlic. Can you imagine?!? Weirdo!!! (I can get away with calling him that.) ;-) I just need to find some girlfriends who will go with me.

amunoz917 said...

Amy I agree with you so much. Teaching is definitely a ministry if you allow it to be that. I am glad that while many times it is hard for ministers to fulfill thier calling in public places as Sis. Smith has said that God does provide those opportunities where that can be done to an extent. We are to go into all the world.
If we put God first He will send us where he wants us to be.

I was born with a birth defect, and the doctors told my parents that if I had to have an operation or I would die, and if I had the operation I could still die. If I lived through the operation that I would either be waterheaded or paralized from the waste down. I had the operation but my parents sent out letters asking everyone to pray. I was healed. To this day all I have to show for it is a scar on my back.

It is so amazing that God knew where I would be 35 yrs later. When I got my job I was asked if I would be willing to change a little girls diaper if they put her into a regular classroom with me. The little girl was born with spina bifida the thing closest to waht I was born with. Of course I said I would be willing. The little girls parents were told she would never walk. This little girl carries the same scar on her back as I do.
She is in 2nd grade now doing great. I was able to witness to these parents and share my testimony with them.

No matter where we are if we are to trust in the Lord and minister as He directs. He will provide every opportunity.

~Amy said...

Megan, that's not right that ya'll don't have Olive Garden. I'd find their headquarters and protest or something. ;-)

Sister Smith, it's true I can't preach in the classroom, but I can sure be a light. Thanks for the encouragement. :D

Ang, I know what you mean. It's just an awesome thing to know I'm being used of the Lord in more places than just in the church building. We are called to minister wherever we are and wherever the Lord places us.

I heard Sister Marcia Brooks's daughter is going into teaching, too. I don't know her too well, but I talked to her on the phone about teaching one time. She sounded determined to be a light to the kids she'll encounter. Praise the Lord! I know she'll make a difference with the Lord's help.