Friday, August 18, 2006

School Days, School Days

Well, it's that time again. I've hit the books and thought about hitting some of the kids with books, but refrained, but it's that of year time again. This year is my first year teaching High School (my sixth year teaching) and I LOVE IT!!! It is so refreshing not having to put up with comments like, "Mrs. Dyer, Jamie's looking at me and I told her not to" or not having to tell Bobby to please remove his feet from the desk in front of him before Sarah reaches around and pops him in the nose. It's refreshing, too, not to have to eat in the cafeteria with 300 12-year olds. I still suffer with partial hearing loss from that one. But the best thing about not having to teach middle school is that my classroom no longer smells of b.o., hormones, and ... um, flatuance (sorry for the language, but I had to deal with the smell for four years, so you can surely deal with the one word ... sorry again). Anyway, I now enjoy pleasant Bath and Body Works lotions and body sprays and hairspray from the girls instead. And the boys? Even the boys have showered and used deodorant (because they are looking at girls now). Ahhhhhh, it's just lovely.

Something else I've observed is that these kids have personalities and they're intellectual ... when you can pull that side out of them. And they have brains and minds and opinions. You do know that middle school hormones kill brain cells at an outrageous rate, right? And they're getting better with abstract concepts and they've reflected on life a little so they have something to say.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the little twerpies I taught before. They're sweet and silly and funny, and they know EVERYTHING (no, they really do). But that's the problem. They know EVERYTHING.

Ahhhhh, high school. It must be where I'm supposed to be.

God is good.

3 comments:

Kasey said...

LOL!! Glad you love it! You are, at any rate, a braver woman than I!

cokelady said...

WOW. I can't imagine loving being a high school teacher. But then, I never thought of all of the negatives about teaching middle school before! When I read your post, it really does sound like a relief to be with the high schoolers!!!

~Amy said...

Yes, it really is. :-)