Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Shocking Regional Convention

One of the prominent adjectives that comes to mind when I think about convention is shocker!!! We had such a wonderful time in the Lord. He truly blessed the folks that were there, including me. I haven't shouted like that in a while and it felt so liberating. Anthony preached his voice away ... literally. I was so thankful the Lord anointed him so.


So why is shocker the word that comes to mind, you ask. THAT has to do with appointments. Anthony and I have been out of active ministry for I guess three years now and have been desiring to get back into the ministry. One of the things the Lord told us about moving here is that we'd be used again and we were so excited about that, but we didn't know the extent to which we would be used. But we're fired up and ready to get in there and really work the positions we've been given.


Anthony was appointed regional ABM coordinator and Evangelism coordinator. And district overseer for Michigan, Northern Illinois, and Eastern Wisconsin. Sounds so weird, doesn't it? The Dyers working in WISCONSIN and MICHIGAN and NORTHERN ILLINOIS. The Dyers who started their married life and ministry together in GEORGIA. I'm still in a little bit of shock that we're so far north. The district overseer position was a HUGE shocker for us. We want to be used, though, and we're sooo ready. I was appointed editor for our regional paper and regional WMB coordinator. I'm so excited about the work. I loved doing the school newspaper at the high school where I taught in MO, so you can imagine my excitement about doing something similar for the church. We're beginning to plan for trips and can't wait to meet the rest of the region and see all the churches. I've begun looking into ideas for ladies' retreat and am really excited about planning that. So we're just praying for direction and God's blessing on the work we do for Him and for The Glorious Church of God.


I did somehow get one picture of our water baptism at camp. Hopefully, I'll get some more pics for the paper when I call some of the pastors and ask around. Here's one pic, anyway.


OK, I guess it's really a video. Dork that I am, I had the camera set to video instead of portrait while taking this "picture". *rolling eyes* Anyway, it was Anthony's first time to help with water baptism so it was really neat for him.

Anyway, we had a wonderful convention and are now looking forward to Minister's Convention. We are probably not going to get to go to the Assembly unless the Lord makes a way, which is something we're praying for because we'd really like to go, but we were so blessed to get to go last year. We'll see what happens. The hotel's been a handful for Anthony lately and I know he's not too keen on the idea of leaving right now with several problems at hand. But we'll see. I know God can make ways where there seems to be none. :-)

7 comments:

Rebekah Doran said...

I was glad to hear that you guys moved to the North. We need more good workers in the North and the West. I'm sure you guys will do a great job in your appts this year. :)

~Amy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Rebekah. We're so ready to do what the Lord would have us do. And we do like it up here. And, yes, I agree with you that the Church does need more workers in these regions. We're so small, but God will bring the harvest when we faithfully work the fields. :-) Love ya.

cokelady said...

Okay, I'm dying here. I don't mean to mock, but... You keep talking about HOW FAR you've moved... I can't remember where you were last (it's hard to keep up with you people, you know!), but I know you were near St. Louis sometime in the last couple of years. From what I can tell, you're all of about 6 hours from there now! That's like... nuthin'! Ha! Where I come from that's an afternoon romp. ;-) In any case, I'm sooooo excited that you are there and that the Lord has seen fit to FILL YOUR LIVES with the ministry once more! (Sounds almost like you'll be catching up for the last couple of years! Ha!) You will be such a blessing to that Region. :-)

As for the Regional Paper... I LOVE doing ours. It's such a fun job to have! (I'd SO much rather do that than up-front kind of stuff, you know?!) And it's a creative outlet, of sorts. I use Microsoft Publisher for ours. As for any pointers, I'm hardly a professional and would feel silly trying to tell somebody else how to do what I'm still learning! All I can say is, HAVE FUN! If you e-mail me your address I'll send you our last paper so you can take a look at it and see the things you may want to do with yours--or maybe some things you DON'T want to do! :-)

rebekah@thecomputersmith.net

~Amy said...

Ha ha!!! That's so funny because I used to make fun of people who moved three hours away from "home" and thought they actually moved a long ways away. It's where you come from, I guess. The southeast has towns and cities only 1-2 miles apart. In rural MO, they're usually at least 15-30 miles apart. I know out West they're much farther. It's so funny our perceptions of distance.

Three years ago, we were one hour south of St. Louis. For the past two years, we've been on the southern border of MO, only a few miles from AR. Really, I wasn't referring to how far we are from our previous location (which is actually about 9 hours ... if you make good time), but I'm just shocked at how far North we are. At the MI border is pretty far north for a southern MO girl, but much more for a GA boy.

But I can see where you'd be dying because I used to do the same to people who thought they weren't going to make it when they had to move just two or three hours from their parents or something.

~Amy said...

I thought I'd use Publisher, but I wanted to see what you use. Wish I could get my hands on a copy of Quark, which is what we did the school paper on. LOVED that program. Oh, well. Publisher's good for the "newsletter style".

cokelady said...

I've never heard of Quark. You obviously know more than I do! Ha!

Sorry for mocking, but it always amazes me how folks back east seem to think that anything out of the county where they grew up is like moving to another planet! Ha! (That's how folks are where James is from--he's a regular freak for being so far west for so long!) I can't say much, really. I grew up in Colorado, then we were in Texas for four years--about 12 hours from "home." Now we're settled right in the middle. Still, I've always been blessed to be out WEST. It truly would be foreign if we ever moved back your direction--north OR south!

~Amy said...

I didn't think you were mocking. I probably have been guilty of mocking others about that very thing before. ha!

Quark is wonderful, it's just very expensive. But it'll do EVERYTHING for you. Formatting is sooo easy to do on that program. I imagine Jacob Doran probably uses it at the paper where he works and knows what I'm talking about. I think it's what most newspapers use.