Saturday, February 24, 2007

Just Barely Two ... And Counting

What to do ... what to do??? I am certified to teach gifted children and have taught them for a few years now, so I've really learned who they are and what they're about. It's been an interesting journey. Gifted children are often socially challenged and are overly concerned and sensitive about issues that are way beyond their years, or where they should be in their current stage of maturation. It can sometimes lead to psychological problems or just difficulties in handling the way the world is. They're sometimes idealistic and have a hard time grasping the concept that some people can be mean. To put it short, they're complex creatures with a lot on their minds. I don't see how nonChristian parents of highly gifted children cope from day to day. I don't see how nonChristian parents of ANY children cope, but especially parents of these kids.

Well, Anthony and I have been closely observing Jackson lately and thinking back to his baby months (can't really say baby years, can ya???) and we've picked up on a lot of things that we're just wondering about. For instance, Jackson is quite crafty when it comes to getting things done that he wants to do (like pushing a chair to the counter so he can stand on top and open the cabinet for his favorite cup, etc.) His vocabulary seems advanced to me for just turning two and he's extremely observant and is sensitive when he thinks someone's been hurt. Most surprising is that he can already count to ten on his own and he is learning his colors. I don't think he's highly gifted, but I think he may be to some degree gifted. The problem is that he's our first child and I don't have anything to really compare him to. I have only taught gifted middle school and high school students, so I don't really know the proper age for the milestones two-year old kids should be crossing. Sometimes I think I'm totally off-base and while he may be a little bright, surely he's not really gifted. On the other hand, there are times when I become a little concerned that if my suspicions are right, what of those typical gifted-child problems I mentioned above will our son deal with as he becomes older?

Anyway, it's just been on my mind and I wanted to see if anyone out there has any input on the topic.

A funny story before I go. Anyone who knows my husband knows how he has a definite ruddy complexion most of the time. We were sitting at IHOP one morning for breakfast and Anthony pointed to the Sweet 'n Low packet and asked Jackson what color it was. He said, "Pink." And then he pointed to Anthony's cheeks and said, "Pink." Ha ha ha. It was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

Take care, y'all. God bless.

12 comments:

wemmies said...

Hmmmmm.... Honestly... Most parents think that their first child is gifted. Caetie was like a little adult when she was 2. Full blown sentences and conversation. She was really really smart. I think it is because they are the first born and showered with so much attention... He could very well be. However... other than GG's talking/grunting they seem to be on the same level. I have been told she grunts because we cater to her and she is the 5th child and doesn't get as much attention as an only child. I can see that. She has been talking a lot more here lately... EITHER WAY... start teaching him to read and stuff now. It will help him as he starts school. Take advantage of it now. Don't give him a HUGE ego about it... he may level out with other children but still have a huge ego then he will have issues. LOL! I think that is what happened to Danny. :P Anyway... I would just continue as you have been. Take advantage of this major learning time for him. Let the cards fall where they may. You can handle it. :)
You could also get him into artsy things.. most places have community theatre. Ummm... nature walks.. anything around your area.. Murfreesboro is LOADED with that kind of stuff. Feed his brain. :D

~Amy said...

Thanks for your input, Wendy. Yeah, I've heard that most parents think their first child is gifted. And I've really tried to be very cautious so that I don't think that he is just because he's my child. You know ...

But like I said, I didn't have anything to compare him to and I just went on instinct that it didn't seem normal that he's counting to ten and knowing colors, etc.

We'll definitely continue to "feed his brain". I'm a teacher. That's what I'm all about. Most of our vacations are educational (much to Anthony's dismay at times). tee hee No, really, he's into education too, but maybe not to the same degree that I am.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. They're good ones. :-)

Kasey said...

Does your school board/district have anny information available about gifted children at the preschool age? I am not sure how big the school system is at your locale, but it might be worth checking into. I could count to 100 in kindergarten (if i remember correctly) and I definitely did not turn out to be a little einstein. I feel I am smart and compitent, but not "gifted". I guess I am normal.

~Amy said...

I could check into that but he's not quite a preschooler yet. He's still considered a toddler--he just turned two in December. And I don't ever get down to the preschool, but I don't know. Maybe I could call them.

Yeah, more and more I'm starting to think that he's smart but probably not really gifted.

Hershey Bar said...

Amy~
I guess you missed my announcement, I've thrown in the boot and given up on my blog....too much for this working momma. Love ya.

PS Sounds like your Jackson is a bright boy!

~Amy said...

Well, I hate to hear that, Jaclyn, BUT I totally understand. :-)

~Amy said...

Love ya, too!!!

Rachel said...

I know that with a mom like you, Jackson is sure to reach his full potential. :-)

I am looking forward to all of that with my own! I'm going to do my best!

We ALMOST got to see you guys Sunday! Had we known we'd be going through Mountain View I would have planned and got directions from you!

~Amy said...

Hi, Rachel. Oh, man, I wish you would've told me. We would have loved to have seen you. Maybe next time you come a' visitin'??? :-)

I'm sure it'll be the same with you and your little one. You're going to just love the next couple of upcoming years. It is sooo much fun. :-)

Rebekah Doran said...

Cute story. lol What did Anthony think? hee hee hee

~Amy said...

He laughed too, but not quite as much as I did. And I think his face got just a little redder the more I laughed.

ha ha ha ha

Still can't help it.

Rebekah Doran said...

hee hee, that's funny.