Monday, July 31, 2006

What is it about cooking?

Yesterday after church, I cooked up a storm and made lots so we'd have leftovers for our lunches for the next few days. I baked a ham, fried some squash and onions, cooked fresh green beans and corn-on-the-cob, and baked some home-made biscuits. What is it about cooking that makes ya feel good inside? I just love to cook. I guess it's the sense of accomplishment and knowing that your family's enjoying good food that doesn't have McD's name all over it; it has yours. :-) It's probably also the fact that you know you washed the dishes and the cooking utensils yourself, and they're CLEAN. I am more and more becoming an adversary of going out to eat because you're just not certain what you're getting and what hygienic measures were taken to ensure cleanliness in cooking. OK, that's rambling and I really don't have much of a point except to say that I love to cook for my family and friends.

I thought it'd be fun for folks to post some of the meals they make for their families often. You know how sometimes you get in a rut because hubby says he loves your this and that and the other, and you seem to start making those things a lot and don't try new things. Maybe I'm the only one who has that problem, but I thought if we all shared our favorite "stand-me-by" meals, everybody'd have a chance to expand their repertoire of family meals. Then if anybody sees one you'd like to make and need a recipe, you could ask for the recipe and that person could share. So here are some of mine: sauerkraut and sausage, shrimp pasta (with a creamy sauce I make myself), chicken enchiladas, Doritos taco salad, BBQ pork steaks, chicken pot pie, Swiss steak, corn casserole (a side dish, but a favorite around here), grilled chicken breasts, Aztec chicken, meatloaf, homemade veggie soup, homemade pizza. Those are just a few. I'll post more as I think of them if this post catches on.

Does anybody else ever watch the Food Network? I have learned sooooo many great techniques that has enhanced my cooking abilities. It's also good, clean television where you're not gonna' see filfth or hear trash. I especially enjoy watching Alton Brown. He's corny, but he's very knowledgeable and shares extremely useful info.

What's on the menu for tonight? Yummy marinated, grilled chicken salad with garlic bread.

4 comments:

amunoz917 said...

Amy check out this blog


http://yummyinmytummyrecipes.blogspot.com/

Western Skies said...

Anthony asks: What's for dinner dear? Amy says in perky homemaker voice "Yummy marinated, grilled chicken salad with garlic bread"

MMMM...boy...that Anthony sure is one lucky man (sarcasm added)...just a question...are you going to grill the chicken in a WOK? What kind of funny dressing will you pour over everything before you serve it? Better ask Andrea!

Kasey said...

Hey amy!!! I created a blog just for recipes because I too, LOVE to cook!! Maybe you can perk the site up. I really wanted people to put some of their favorite recipes on there, but I haven't gotten as much feedback as I had hoped. I am beginning to feel like i am the only one who ever puts anything on there. Send me an email to sgrplum1@hotmail.com and I will send you a blog invite and you will be a member of the recipe blog. You have posting rights like on your own blog just not administrative rights to change templates and such!! Come join us!

I cooked last night too! Yummy marinated mesquite grilled chicken!

~Amy said...

Sure, Kasey, I'd love to join. I just emailed you earlier today. Thanks for the invite.