Friday, July 28, 2006

DUH!!!

I just realized that my previous post was entitled "The Passion Play" and there's nothing in there about the actual play. I'll talk about the play this time, but I didn't want to name two of my posts about the play ... hence, "DUH!!!," as in how my brain feels at this moment. Oh, hold on just a sec. Baby's crying. ... (gone for more than a second) ... Speaking of "duh," my brilliant child just closed the door and locked himself in his room ... again. This is a new game we play and he cries every time. I thank the Good Lord that my baby brother did this very thing when we were little and my mom showed me how to use a teeny flat-head screwdriver to unlock the thing. Otherwise, my son probably wouldn't have a door to his room at this point, or at least a door knob.

So, anyway, the play was really good. The set was absolutely breathtaking and HUGE. When I first saw it as we took our seats inside the outdoor amphitheatre, I wondered how spectators could know where to look or if they'd get lost in the course of action because of how large the set was. Then I remembered that it would very soon be dark and they would, of course, use the lighting to direct the audience's attention. That's why the play is shown at night, which makes sense. Well, they started with Jesus' entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and ended with the ascension into Heaven. They chose, I felt, the most important happenings and really emphasized how it was the Jews themselves who were the ones to really push for Jesus' crucifixion. Maybe that's something we often forget, always thinking about Pontius Pilate and Herod being the ones to blame. It was His own countrymen, the very ones who were awaiting a Messiah, and the very ones who failed to recognize Him when He came. The play also emphasized that Judas really allowed himself to be deceived. He didn't realize he was handing Jesus over to His death but was told that He'd just be questioned. So sad. The resurrection scene was AWESOME. I don't know how in the world they got that light in the tomb so bright white. It was beautiful. And then when the angel was telling Mary that He wasn't there, the most amazing thing happened. Just overhead the amphitheatre was a shooting star. It was breathtaking. You could hear everyone gasp and "ooh" and "aah". Our God is so awesome.

They also had a Sacred Arts Center, which was sooooo cool. The paintings in there were amazing and our tour guide's explanations were beautifully poignant. Brought tears to my eyes. One just gave me chillbumps and brought not just tears, but streaming tears. The title was "The Bridegroom Cometh". At first glance it appears to just be a lady reading her Bible at a table, but then, with a closer look, you begin to notice certain things that really make the painting so very touching. First thing you notice is that she's actually wearing a wedding dress and then the clock on the wall shows one minute 'til midnight. Her lamp on the table is full of oil and the wick is trimmed. The most moving aspect of the picture is that you notice her eyes are slightly turned toward a door and there's a hint of a smile forming on her face. HALLELUJAH, He's coming soon.

Love ya'll.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm from that area of Arkansas and I worked in the Snack Shack as a manager for the summer about 5 years ago. When we weren't very busy we could finish our work and go watch the play for free... It IS amazing, and I love how they stick to the King James account. It's the largest outdoor amphitheatre in North America, and we'd get people from all over the world who came over just to see the Play!

Did you get to see the Messianic Jews program before the play? It's very interesting! I never got to go into the New Holy Land, I could never get to work early enough to go through it before my shift started. Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoyed it!